Energy Storage & Self Consumption Systems

As more solar and wind power comes on line, it becomes increasingly difficult and expensive to ensure stability of the grid.

Intermediate energy storage is therefore rapidly becoming an essential tool to keep power fluctuations on the grid within manageable limits. Moreover, as feed-in tariffs are decreasing, the business case for a home energy storage system that increases self-consumption becomes more solid every day. Intermediate energy storage increases self-consumption of harvested solar and/or wind power. The natural next step is 100% self-consumption and independence from the grid.

What is an ESS?

An Energy Storage System (ESS) is a specific type of power system that integrates a power grid connection with a Victron Inverter/Charger, GX device and battery system. It stores solar energy into your battery during the day, for use later on when the sun stops shining.

It allows for time shifting power, charging from solar, providing grid support, and exporting power back to the grid.

When an ESS system is able to produce more power than it can use and store, it can sell the surplus to the grid; and when it has insufficient energy or power, it automatically buys it from from the grid.

When is it appropriate to use ESS?

Use ESS in a self-consumption system; a backup system with solar, or a mixture of both: For example you can use 30% of the battery capacity for self-consumption, and keep the other 70% available as a backup in the event of utility grid failure.

Optimizing self-consumption:

When there is more PV power than is required to run loads, the excess PV energy is stored in the battery. That stored energy is then used to power the loads at times when there is a shortage of PV power.

The percentage of battery capacity used for self-consumption is configurable. When utility grid failure is extremely rare it could be set to 100%. In locations where grid failure is common - or even a daily occurrence - you might choose to use just 20% of battery capacity and save 80% for the next grid failure. African countries for example.

Keep batteries 100% charged:

ESS can also be configured to keep the batteries fully charged. Utility grid failure is then the only time battery power is used - as a backup. Once the grid is restored, the batteries will be recharged either from the grid or from solar panels - when available.

Victron ESS in a system with a generator

Configuring ESS in a system which uses a diesel generator as backup - for extended mains failures - can be achieved. Grid code and Loss of Mains configuration will need special attention, see here.

And on the GX device, select 'Generator' as the AC Input type in the Settings → System setup menu. The system will then enable generator charging; ensure that the generator is properly loaded, and will be automatically switched-off as soon as parameters are met.

Single , Split & Three Phase Systems available - Many different Configurations available - Contact us for a quote

Or check out our range of Ready To Install Kits 

 

 

We are an Official Supplier of Victron & SOLAX - Quality, proven equipment that meets all the Australian Standards.

Don't get caught unprepared! Become Self Sufficient today!